Thursday, December 29, 2022

Does anyone else miss life before algorithms?

If you've heard me rant on this before, feel free to exit the post. Yes, Clare, I'm looking at you.

 I ask this question, because well, I do. The last month has been a bit hectic. Hurried. Snowy. Call it what you will, the result is any attempt on my part to check social media feeds has been scattershot at best. Usually a quick skip through many posts I might be interested in, and minimal interaction in a consistent manner.

Which means, I now have to manually go to any friend whose posts I want to see, but have probably not connected with in a while and like a slew of posts to get them to show up on my feed again. If these algorithms are so smart, why don't they realize that my being too busy to interact ONE TIME (okay, several), doesn't mean I never want to see that person in my feed again? If it purports to know better than I, who or what I wish to see in my feeds, then please, live up to this claim!

It doesn't help that I can remember being on platforms where my friends' feed consisted of all the posts from all the people in the actual order they were posted in. Which hey! Allowed me to catch-up when I could and on what I wanted and didn't assume to know me better than I know myself.

*shakes fist at the algorithm gods*

I've tried making lists of the folks I interact with the most, but, the last two times I have done this, the platform in question then changed how the feed interacts with those lists and rendered them next to useless and I.Just.Don't.Have.The.Will. to do it all again. If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I will gratefully sob on your shoulder in thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment